European plug-in car registrations jump 237% year-over-year in Q2 2021

European plug-in car registrations jump 237% year-over-year in Q2 2021

The number of electric passenger car registrations in Europe jumped more than 230 per cent year-over-year in the second quarter of 2021, thanks to customers’ transition from internal combustion engines to electric powertrains.

According to data released by the European Automobile Manufacturers Association, a total of 3,405,600 new passenger cars were registered in Europe during the April to June quarter of 2021, up 66 per cent from the corresponding three-month period of 2020. Out of that number, nearly 574,565 were new passenger plug-in electric cars. The number of new plug-in electric car registrations represents an impressive jump of 237 per cent year-over-year.

It is interesting to note here that the number of hybrid vehicle registrations expanded even at a higher rate than the plug-ins. While registrations of battery electric vehicles (BEVs) grew 220 per cent to 289,625 units, PHEVs grew 256 per cent to 284,940. In total, the segment of plug-ins plus FCVs grew 237 per cent to 574,565 units in the quarter under review. BEVs captured 8.5 per cent share of the market, while PHEVs’ share grew to 8.4 per cent. Total plug-ins’ share grew to 16.9 per cent.

The number of HEVs registered during the second quarter jumped to 692,434 units, up 241 per cent, with its market share growing to 20.3 per cent. Total car registrations/sales grew to 3,405,600 units, up 66 per cent.

Year-to-date (YTD), the number of new plug-ins registered in Europe jumped to more than 1 million, up 157 per cent year-over-year. The figures represent roughly 16 per cent of the car market. During the first two quarters, customers bought a total of 492,021 units of BEVs (plus FCVs), up 122 per cent from the corresponding period of 2020.

The PHEV segment grew 200 per cent to 537,212 units, capturing 8.3 per cent of the car market share. Total Plug-ins and HEVs grew to 1,029,233 and 1,285,641 units, up 157 per cent and 150 per cent, respectively. Plug-ins captured 15.9 per cent share, while HEVs captured a larger 19.8 per cent share of the market, respectively.

The top six markets by volume, viz. Germany, France, Norway, Sweden, Italy and the UK, accounted for roughly 795,821 registrations or more than 77 per cent of total sales during the first two quarters of 2021. With a total of 312,507 units sold/registered (up 233 per cent year-over-year), Germany remains the dominant plug-in market in Europe.

Business: 
General: 

Advertisements