Stocks jumped, pushing the FTSE 100 Index up by 79.7 points to 5331.1 around mid-day as miners climbed on soaring gold price.
Randgold Resources, the gold mining company, gained 3 per cent or 170p higher to 5120p-a-share.
At one points gold touched a record high of over 1167 dollars per ounce.
Platinum company Lonmin jumped 68p to 1761p-a-share owing to higher metals prices.
The chocolate giant Cadbury gained 13.5p to 814p-a-share amid expectations that food giant Hershey would outshine Kraft in making a takeover bid.
Among lenders, shares in Barclays jumped 8.55p to 312.8p-a-share.
On the other hand, German DAX gained 138.33 points to 5,801.48, while the CAC-40 was up by 83.81 points to 3,813.17.
United States’ Dow Jones industrial average climbed 146.54 points to 10,464.70 around midday.
- Survival Rates for Breast, Prostate and Bowel Cancer will improve by 2020
- Rise in Number of Survivors Over 85 Years in England, Wales
- Dr. Foster Hospital Guide Finds Rise in Mortality Rate in Hospitals
- 22-yr-old spots glowing eel-like creature in UK
- Wife needs more time to decide if she wants to go ahead with a pregnancy using her dead husbands’ frozen sperm