Stocks jumped, pushing the FTSE 100 Index up by 79.7 points to 5331.1 around mid-day as miners climbed on soaring gold price.
Randgold Resources, the gold mining company, gained 3 per cent or 170p higher to 5120p-a-share.
At one points gold touched a record high of over 1167 dollars per ounce.
Platinum company Lonmin jumped 68p to 1761p-a-share owing to higher metals prices.
The chocolate giant Cadbury gained 13.5p to 814p-a-share amid expectations that food giant Hershey would outshine Kraft in making a takeover bid.
Among lenders, shares in Barclays jumped 8.55p to 312.8p-a-share.
On the other hand, German DAX gained 138.33 points to 5,801.48, while the CAC-40 was up by 83.81 points to 3,813.17.
United States’ Dow Jones industrial average climbed 146.54 points to 10,464.70 around midday.
- Rise in Complaints and Complication for Social Workers by Cap on care Expenditure
- GPs’ Chief inspector to be Appointed Soon
- Babies Sharing Beds with Parents Under Threat of Cot deaths
- Londoners Protest against NHS Privatization
- Women Participate in Race for Life Event to Raise Money for Cancer Patients