A nude swim at a New Zealand beach turned into a nightmare for a Canadian tourist who was bitten by a poisonous spider on his penis, according to a report in the New Zealand Medical Journal.
As the 22-year-old tourist reached the shore after the swim in the Northland region of the country, he didn’t realise that he had been bitten on the tender part. It was only after a nap on the beach that he woke up to a swollen penis, with a red spot on the tip.
He had been bitten by a katipo, a beach-loving spider related to the black widow, whose bite can be fatal, it is believed. Some of the small black venomous spiders bear a red stripe with a white border. Known to bite rarely and usually in self defence, katipos are native to New Zealand and live in sand dunes close to the sea.
The Canadian had hardly thought that it was just the beginning of his about a fortnight-long embarrassingly painful predicament. By the time he got to hospital, his organ was severely swollen and his heart racing. He had to spend
16 days in hospital, as he suffered from heart inflammation. “It was a rather nasty, ill-placed bite,” said Dr. Nigel Harrison of Whangarei Hospital.
- Bitcoin investors call for protection after collapse of two major Bitcoin platforms
- South Yorkshire cottage has been crashed into by 40 cars over last 14 years
- Doctors to Reconstruct People's Faces with Stem Cells from their Fat
- $10 Urine Test is Twice as Accurate as Existing Tests for Prostate Cancer Diagnosis
- People Shorter in height May be Short of Intellect too: Study