The FDA has warned the consumer from in swallowing the Benadryl Extra Strength Itch Stopping Gel.
The FDA has received the reports about the side effects such as unconsciousness, hallucinations, and confusion in the people who had unknowingly swallowed Benadryl Extra Strength Itch Stopping Gel.
Benadryl Extra Strength Itch Stopping Gel is unlike the liquid Benadryl products and is made for external use only, so not to be swallowed.
Benadryl Extra Strength Itch Stopping Gel is rich in diphenhydramine, making it effective skin cream but if swallowed then can cause serious side effects.
Medical and grocery stores are selling diphenhydramine topical gels which are lookalike in packaging to Benadryl Extra Strength Itch Stopping Gel but customers must also not swallow these products too.
Johnson & Johnson, earlier this year redesigned its bottle and attached yellow sticker to state that "for skin use" only
Benadryl itch gel has been on the market for more than 15 years, according to a J & J spokeswoman. However, the company received a "small" number of reports from consumers who had ingested the product
The FDA said between 2001 and 2009, a total of 121 cases of mistaken ingestion of Benadryl Extra Strength Itch Stopping Gel were reported to the manufacturer.