US President Barack Obama paid a visit to the southern tip of Louisiana on Sunday to make a first-hand accessment of the threat that emerged following an oil spill that emerged due to an explosion on a drilling rig leased by oil giant BP.
Mr. Obama has blamed the London-based BP for the Gulf of Mexico rig blast, which killed eleven workers and sent oil spewing towards the coast.
Speaking on the issue, Mr. Obama said, “Let me be clear: BP is responsible for this leak. BP will be paying the bill.”
As per Government estimates, oil is leaking at a rate of up to 210,000 gallons per day under the surface of water.
The oil spill has threatened environment in Louisiana, Mississippi, Florida and Alabama.
Hundreds of species of wildlife have been under threat as the Gulf Coast and its marshlands provides home to a number of wildlife species such as sea turtles, porpoises, whales, dolphins, otters, pelicans and other birds. The wetlands also attract millions of migrating birds each year.
In addition, the oil spill has affected the seafood industry adversely as Gulf is a rich source of seafood such as fish, crabs, shrimp, mussels and oysters.
Federal authorities have banned fishing from the affected areas.
- Bitcoin investors call for protection after collapse of two major Bitcoin platforms
- South Yorkshire cottage has been crashed into by 40 cars over last 14 years
- Doctors to Reconstruct People's Faces with Stem Cells from their Fat
- $10 Urine Test is Twice as Accurate as Existing Tests for Prostate Cancer Diagnosis
- People Shorter in height May be Short of Intellect too: Study