India is experiencing a rise in abortions despite the law becoming stringent and to top it all these abortions are unsafe.
The percentage of unsafe abortions was 66 out of the total number of abortions recorded in 2008.
The central and south Asia recorded about 10.5 million abortions and out of these about 6.5 million had taken place in India.
While doing abortions, women died and the total number of women who died in one lakh abortions was 200. The World Health Organization alongwith New York's Guttmacher Institute released these figures.
In 2003 the total number of abortions was 41.6 million and this figure rose to 43.8 million abortions making it 2.2 million more.
And in these abortions, the percentage of unsafe abortions was 49 per cent in 2008 as compared to 44 per cent in 1995.
Lead author Dr Gilda Sedgh from the Guttmacher Institute, said, "Abortion is legal in India and the services are much safer that many other developing countries. But for some reason, women choosing to abort are not taking advantage of this liberal law. They are also getting abortions done in unsafe clinics. That is why a good measure of abortions in India is unsafe"
- Gentle Electrical Stimulation May Help in Improving Maths Skills
- Mutated BRCA1 Gene Increases Breast Cancer Risk
- Research Finds Huge Increase in Type-2 Diabetes, Under-40 Hardest Hit
- Step Forward in IVF Treatment in 30 Can Mount up Baby Production Three-times
- David Cameron Blamed for ‘Scaremongering’ Over Health Tourism