Following the paint attack on the Minister for Health Mary Harney, it is being believed that the Garda would most likely ask the government to continue the protection being provided to cabinet ministers. At the moment, cabinet ministers are provided state cars with a gardai for the protection of ministers.
The announcement by the Garda would come after Minister for the Environment John Gormley had advised carpooling to reduce the carbon emissions. Though, in response senior gardai have rejected the idea by stating that it is not safe for ministers.
Senior gardai have also expressed that no risks should be undertaken to compromise the security of ministers. Especially, as the current state of economy was not in a healthy position.
Chief Superintendents had also met to discuss the issue yesterday at the Garda College in Templemore. The meeting was being held as part of a biannual affair, in which superintendents meet to discuss garda strategy for the coming six months.
In the meeting, senior police officials have felt that in order to protect ministers from any backlash because of the recession, the security arrangements should be maintained. They took a note of the incident involving Ms. Harney, in which she was attacked by one of the councilor, who was a guest at a party.
- Robots to Walk Streets within 10 Years
- Bitcoin investors call for protection after collapse of two major Bitcoin platforms
- South Yorkshire cottage has been crashed into by 40 cars over last 14 years
- Doctors to Reconstruct People's Faces with Stem Cells from their Fat
- $10 Urine Test is Twice as Accurate as Existing Tests for Prostate Cancer Diagnosis