Around 8000 People Participate in the Cancer Relay

The weekend saw a number of people taking part in the annual Relay for Life charity walkathon held at Horsley Park Showground.

The event was participated in by around 8000 people, an increase of two-folds from the last year, as told by Lee Falappi, the relay’s organizer. He stated that it remained successful, beyond their expectations.

It has been expected that the event would collect more than $150,000 for the NSW Cancer Council, but the final figure is still to arrive. The money raised would be employed for cancer research, support services and advocacy.

The two day charity walkathon was inaugurated by cancer survivors and carers at 10am on Saturday. There were events like a Battle of the Bands competition, Miss Relay competition that included 15 men dressed in ladies’ clothes parading around the circuit; movie theatre, arts and craft exhibition and bungee jumping for kids. The event was highlighted with an eye-catching fireworks demonstration.

Mr. Falappi said, “My contribution is "a tribute" to my wife, a cancer survivor who has lost five members of her immediate family to the disease”.

A hundreds of people camped overnight and faced Saturday’s violent winds bravely. Violeta Jofre, Fairfield West resident got her long hair cut to help raising money for the event.