According to health officers, 21 new cases of whooping cough have been reported in California. They say that this is the worst epidemic since the year 1955.
In the current year, nine babies below three months have died due to pertussis. The health officials are requesting people, especially those who have come in close contact with the babies, to get the vaccination as early as possible.
The health officials are saying that the main reason behind the epidemic is the presence of increasing number of unimmunised adults and teenagers.
So far this year, as many as 4,017 confirmed cases have been reported in the state of California. A total of 579 cases of whooping cough have been registered in San Diego County, which is quite high as compared to 143 cases reported in the year 2009.
Dr. Aliza Lifshitz, an Internist at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles said that parents take their children to clinics for vaccination, but forget to get the vaccination done for themselves.
Dr. Aliza further said that parents fail to understand that this is a very big problem and inoculation is very important to prevent the disease.
It is advised that a five-dose series of DTaP vaccine should be given to children aged 2, 4, and 6 months, 15 to 18 months, and 4 to 6 years. Tdap booster shot should be taken by everyone aged 10 years or older.
- Robots to Walk Streets within 10 Years
- Bitcoin investors call for protection after collapse of two major Bitcoin platforms
- South Yorkshire cottage has been crashed into by 40 cars over last 14 years
- Doctors to Reconstruct People's Faces with Stem Cells from their Fat
- $10 Urine Test is Twice as Accurate as Existing Tests for Prostate Cancer Diagnosis