According to the researchers at the University of Southampton, breast cancer can be prevented by eating watercress salad every day.
The scientists say that the 'super food' helps in 'turning off' a signal in the body, which stops the essential blood and oxygen to reach the tumour.
The researchers have noticed that a compound named phenylethyl isothiocyanate (PEITC) is present in the watercress that gives it a peppery taste. This compound helps in the blockage of a protein that is responsible for the growth of the cancer tumours in the human body.
The tumours have the tendency to outgrow their existing blood supply and in the absence of enough oxygen and nutrients, their development stops.
The tumours then send a signal to the nearby tissues to grow new blood vessels in order for them to supply the essential nutrients to the tumours.
For the study, volunteers were told to eat 80 grams of watercress each day, which is almost equal to the size of a cereal bowl.
It was noticed that the participants’ health improved significantly and the number of cancer-fighting molecules in the bloodstream also increased in few hours.
The research study was sponsored by the Watercress Alliance and the findings have raised hopes in as many as 45,000 women, who are diagnosed with breast cancer, every year.
- Bitcoin investors call for protection after collapse of two major Bitcoin platforms
- South Yorkshire cottage has been crashed into by 40 cars over last 14 years
- Doctors to Reconstruct People's Faces with Stem Cells from their Fat
- $10 Urine Test is Twice as Accurate as Existing Tests for Prostate Cancer Diagnosis
- People Shorter in height May be Short of Intellect too: Study